For Your Convenience

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

New Spice Holders

Okay so I confess, I have a weakness for mason jars, I just love everything that they stand for. For the last 4 years I have had a counter top spice rack with all the extras stuffed into a cabinent. On the one hand this is okay because everything was always within easy reach but I was ready for some change so I made a spice drawer, then repurposed my spice rack into a medicine rack.

I didn't think to take a before picture, but this is the style of my old spice rack.
Olde Thompson 20 jar spice rack


First,I bought a case of the 4 oz jelly jars (anything else is too tall to fit in the closed drawer) and used chalk board paint to spray the lids.






When the lids were dry I filled the washed jars with my spices and used the bands to secure the lids in place. I currently have the labels on the bottom because I don't have any chalk, but here is a picture of the final product. Did I mention that I LOVE the way this turned out, not only is it pretty and of the counter but the spices are much easier to use because I can dip a TBSP in or easily pull out a pinch of what I am using. 

 I finished the project by using a sharpie marker to color the black part of my spice rack lids (to cover the spice labels). Once filled with medicine I can simply use a silver or white paint pen to label them as Advil, Tylenol, Vitamins etc. The new medicine rack has found a home in my linen closet, but I have not rounded up all the medicines to put in the jars as of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking an interest. If you have a similar blog or article, please provide a link with your comment, I will make sure to stop by.