For Your Convenience

Friday, June 22, 2012

Pearls & Pumps Anyone?

I love summer, especially this summer! I set out in the end of May to improve myself. I even dubbed this "The Summer of Me" and yet here it is the end of June and I have done about nothing on my list. I haven't improved my eating habits, I haven't upped my physical activity enough to make a difference, and my budget hasn't budged. To make things worse, I still haven't completed the paperwork to get my teaching licence (you know actually use that 8 years of college I just finished) AND my beloved flowerbeds have sprung 'gasp' weeds. 

It seems I need to get my butt in gear so I'm not sitting here, unemployed, looking at my dirty living room all day come September. I found a blog that talked about a 2 week 50s housewife experiment  and couldn't help but think I could do that. Yesterday, I set out to follow the 50s housewife schedule which lasted about 15 minutes. For one thing my husband works in North Dakota and is gone for two weeks each month so getting up and cooking breakfast consisted of cereal, and making the bed consisted of moving the pillow and blanket from the couch to the bed, because hey I'm going to wash the sheets today. Right? Wrong! I managed to iron 3 dresses and a shirt before giving up and rewashing 3 loads of laundry (teach me to heap my clothes on an armchair), Wash one previously dirty load of towels, clean my kitchen and living room (minus the floors of course). My one feat for the day, I cleaned the oven and dusted everything including the ceiling fans. 

Fast forward to the end of the day, I finally fell asleep at midnight feeling exhausted and defeated all at the same time. This morning I got up thinking what is the use? I was most certainly not 50s housewife material. Really, I have nothing better to do with my time than clean my house and yet it took me an entire day to mostly clean the kitchen and living room? Luckily, I inherited stubbornness from my dad, so I drug myself out of bed and jumped straight into the deep end. It is now 10:30 in the morning, I am sitting in a clean living room, happily typing away while my bread dough rises. I'm not quite Mrs. Cleaver yet (I forgot to use an apron while I baked) and the bathrooms still need cleaned, but I feel great! I am confident that I AM 50s housewife material. I think that by Monday I will be caught up enough to actually begin the experiment. If it works, I may just keep it up forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking an interest. If you have a similar blog or article, please provide a link with your comment, I will make sure to stop by.