For Your Convenience

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The benefits of the 50s housewife experience

So while I admit that I didn't really stick to the complete 50s housewife experience that I had planned a month ago, I did stick to a modernized version of it. My house is clean, my husband was fed, and I have a sense of purpose (outside of teaching, which of course I am not currently doing).

I have to say that the most inspiring part was surprisingly, the dress. I know it seems incredibly old fashioned, and goes against common sense, but I got up every morning and put on a dress. I then promptly covered it up with an apron and dug into my never ending list of daily chores. One day when my husband was home and we had plans in the afternoon I put on a pair of jeans and a nice shirt and it was my least productive day of cleaning. Simply said, Looking nice makes you feel nice, and feeling nice makes you act nice. And as a modern 50s housewife cleaning quickly, efficiently, and happily is the nice thing to do. 

I have found the system that works for me, what chores to do, when to do them, what to make for dinner etc. and I believe that although I can share my experiences with the world, everyone will have their own take on this part of their own 50s housewife dreams. The one thing I recommend everyone do is to behold the power of the dress and apron, it really helps you step into the role you have designed for yourself.  Just be careful to remember when you are not wearing an apron. I managed to wipe my hands on my dress a time or two when I took off the apron when guests were over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking an interest. If you have a similar blog or article, please provide a link with your comment, I will make sure to stop by.