For Your Convenience

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lake McConaughy and Buffalo Joe's White Water Rafting

Despite the lack of internet access, this past week has been beautiful. I spent several days at lake McConaughy, NE. We stayed at my all time favorite campground Eagle Canyon Hideaway. The managers Jimmy and Julie were great (as always) and on July 4th welcomed their first grandchild into this world (talk about having something to celebrate)! 

On our 3rd day there, I learned that people from Colorado really are the best, yes as a native Coloradoan I may be biased, but when I got stuck in the middle of the lake on a jet ski, which I rolled over one to many times so it wouldn't start, it was another Coloradoan who came out on his boat to rescue me!

Then on July 5th, my brother, his wife, Nick, several people from the Sheriffs Office, and I went white water rafting with a company called Buffalo Joe's out of Buena Vista, CO. Our guide Jessie was awesome and we rafted the longest stretch of class 4 rapids in the country. The only thing I can say is that when I go again I will only do the half day instead of the full day. There were two half day rafters on the trip (everyone else was a whole day) and the only difference was that we got lunch. Buffalo Joe's makes an amazing steak lunch for all the whole day rafters, but I'm not convinced it was worth the extra $50. I should note that the website does say that there is supposed to be more rafting after lunch, but despite paying the whole day rate we were taken back to the store (and our cars) after rafting only the narrows. I did have a blast, and will give  BJ's another chance, the water was very low and may have contributed to the shortened trip. If you are ever in the area and are into outdoorsy activities, I highly recommend rafting the Arkansas River with BJ's. 

Now I am finally home and will start posting things that I promised you (like recipes) this afternoon. But for now I am off to my parents house to go on a wine tasting adventure with my mom and sister-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking an interest. If you have a similar blog or article, please provide a link with your comment, I will make sure to stop by.